The Audience for Touring Broadway 2013-2014
From the Executive Summary
- In the 2013–2014 season, Broadway shows touring across North America drew 13.8 million attendances.
- Seventy-one percent of attendees were female.
- The average age of the Touring Broadway theatregoer was 53 years.
- Ninety-two percent of Touring Broadway theatregoers were Caucasian.
- Seventy-six percent of the audience held a college degree and 34% held a graduate degree.
- Forty-nine percent of national theatregoers reported an annual household income of more than $100,000, compared to only 22% of Americans overall.
- Forty-one percent of respondents subscribed to the “Broadway Series” at their local venues.
- On average, Touring Broadway attendees saw 4.5 shows per year.
- Women continued to be more likely than men to make the decision to purchase theatre tickets.
- The majority of audiences looked to the theatre’s website to find information about the show.
- The most commonly cited sources for show selection (other than being part of the subscription) were: the music, personal recommendation, Tony Awards ® and articles written about the show.
- The reported influence of the Tony Awards® in deciding to see a show continued to grow. Twenty-four percent of respondents said that Tony Awards ® or nominations were a reason they attended the show, compared to 8% in the 2005–2006 season.
- Only 15% of respondents said that an advertisement influenced them to select the show and 12% said they were influenced by a newspaper critic’s review.
- Sixty-two percent of the audience said that some kind of incentive would encourage them to attend theatre more frequently, such as discounts or special perks.
- Forty-four percent of Touring Broadway theatregoers purchased tickets online.
- Advance sales to single-ticket buyers have been steadily increasing over the past 10 years.
- Thirty-eight percent of respondents said that different performance times would encourage more frequent attendance.
- Thirty percent of respondents said they made a visit to New York City in the past year. Of those, 81% attended a Broadway show while in town.
The Audience For Touring Broadway 2013-2014
56 pages, illustrated with color charts and graphs
Cover and sample page:
To order a copy of this report, click here.