The Demographics of the Broadway Audience 2012-2013
Who Goes to Broadway?
The Demographics of the Broadway Audience
The Demographics of the Broadway Audience 2012-2013 is a profile of the audience at Broadway shows from June 2012 through June 2013. It is the sixteenth annual report in our series, analyzing the composition of the audience today in comparison to past years and attempting to note trends for the future. The report includes information regarding the demographics, ticket purchasing habits, and consumer preferences of the Broadway theatergoer.
From the Executive Summary
- In the 2012–2013 season, tourists purchased approximately 66% of all Broadway tickets. International tourists comprised 23% of attendees, the highest percentage in recorded history.
- Sixty-eight percent of the audiences were female.
- The average age of the Broadway theatregoer was 42.5 years.
- Seventy-eight percent of all tickets were purchased by Caucasian theatregoers.
- Broadway theatregoers were quite affluent compared to the general United States population, reporting an average annual household income of $186,500.
- Of theatregoers over 25 years old, 74% had completed college and 36% had earned a graduate degree.
- The average Broadway theatregoer reported attending 4 shows in the previous 12 months. The group of devoted fans who attended 15 or more performances comprised only 5% of the audience, but accounted for 31% of all tickets (3.6 million admissions).
- Playgoers tended to be more frequent theatregoers than musical attendees. The typical straight play attendee saw seven shows in the past year; the musical attendee, three.
- Word-of-mouth was the most influential factor in show selection.
- Forty-one percent of respondents said they purchased their tickets online.
- The average reported date of ticket purchase for a Broadway show was 27 days before the performance.
- Forty-two percent of attendees walked to the theatre. Nineteen percent took the subway, and 14% drove in a car.
Who Goes to Broadway? 2012-2013
49 pages, illustrated with color with charts, graphs, and photos. Published December, 2013
The Broadway League
Sample Cover and Page from Report:
To order a copy of this report, click here.